- Wheelchair users shall release all straps or wedges prior to entering a dock area. Those individuals who require support shall have a volunteer assigned to be at close attendance at all times while straps/wedges are released.
- All participants must wear PFD’s while on the docks and in the boats. Skippers and volunteers must set the example by doing the same.
- Anyone performing a transfer between boat and dock must be trained in proper transfer techniques and demonstrate competency in those techniques.
- Disabled sailors must be accompanied by at least one able-bodied (AB) sailor per boat. One AB each will accompany a maximum of four inexperienced disabled sailors.
- Participants will be evaluated to decide whether they can be safely handled in our program. A Footloose skipper may refuse to accept a participant for reasons of safety.
- Each skipper has the right to cancel for any reason s/he deems necessary for the participant’s safety. If several skippers are involved, there will be a joint decision but each must measure his or her own competence against the circumstances.
- Each skipper will be responsible for ensuring that the boat is in proper condition and has the required equipment prior to allowing the boat out to sail. A list of necessary equipment will be available on each boat. Check-out forms must be completed before and after each use.
4-22-06, updated 6-5-2011